We live in a day and age where technology is at an extremely fast pace. You can barely get used to a device, that a new one emerges. Some may even go as far as saying that we live in a golden age of technology. I must say that I completely agree. New things are being created every day, and all you can do is go with the flow. Otherwise, you risk being left behind.
But as new things emerge, old things have the tendency to lose interest. Not all of them, but about 99% of them. You are not going to use a floppy disk over a USB storage unit, are you? One of the things that are being removed from computers and laptops are the CD drives. Few people use them anymore. You can easily purchase drivers with a click of a button, you can download music, and games can be bought online. Slowly, CD drives become obsolete, but that does not mean some people don’t need the anymore. However, since manufacturers have the tendency to take out the inbuilt CD drives, your only option is to go for an external one. It’s the best alternative you have.
The benefits of an external CD drive
Just because you don’t use a CD drive as much as a few years ago, that does not mean you don’t still need it. It can be utilized in a variety of situations, which is why manufacturers still mass produce and improve them.
- Computer software, music, antivirus software, and games are still sold on CDs, which is why you can still benefit from a CD drive. It will make using the content of the CD available for you at any given time. And even if you can buy those things online now, what happens with what you already have? Are you ging to throw it out? Of course not. You will still use the CD, and that is why you need an external CD drive. Desktops rarely come with an inbuilt drive, so what other choice do you have?
- They are cheaper than installing a CD drive into your computer – since the technology is relatively old, you can find a high-quality external CD drive under 30$. That is nothing compared to how much it would cost to take your computer to a service and install one. People will always go for the cheaper alternative, especially if it can deliver the exact same thing. Of course, you have the option of buying an internal CD drive and install it yourself. Youtube has a tutorial for anything these days, but it is not as convenient. You have to remove the side of the desktop, which may invalidate the warranty. Or you could touch something you are not supposed to. Plenty of things can happen, so why risk it when you have such a simple alternative?
- They are portable – portability has become a major concern over the last few years. That is because convenience sells. You can take it with you wherever you need it, and the fact that the external CD drive is removable it’s a huge plus. When you are not using it, you can simply store it in a drawer.
- They connect through USB ports – that means you can connect an external CD drive to any computer or laptop. It doesn’t matter the brand, all computers have USB ports. The generation matters, of course, but only in terms of transfer speed. I have yet to discover an external CD drive that is not compatible with a computer. I don’t think I ever will.
What to consider when buying an external CD drive
Just so you know, hitting the buy button on the first product you find online can be a huge mistake. That is because there are a few things you should consider before making a purchase. It may not seem a big deal now, but trust me, you want to know. Not all external CD drives are the same. Here are the most important aspects.
- The size – if you care about size, then you should pick a small model that can draw power from your computer or laptop. Keep in mind that an external CD drive, even a small one, will empty your laptop battery pretty fast, and may slow down the use of other running programs. If you go for a bigger version, you may want one with its own power supply. Otherwise, your laptop will not be able to withstand such a power leak and will turn off pretty Also, portability is an issue many people care about, which is why the smaller the drive, the better. Storage is more convenient as well with a tiny drive than with a big one.
- Versatility – do you need a drive that can read CDs only, or you want an external CD drive that can read DVDs and BluRays as well? Not all can do that, which is why you need to look at the features before you make a purchase. If you need to burn CDs, you may not be able to do that with all drives. So make sure to consider all such aspects before hitting the add to cart button. And don’t forget about the available RAM.
- Operating system – although virtually all external CD drives are compatible with PCs, not all of them are compatible with Apple Macintosh. If you have an iMac or a Macbook, read the specifications carefully to ensure compatibility.
- Transfer speed – when looking at the rate of the transfer, consider what are you going to do with the drive. If you need it for games or if you transfer files frequently, a high speed may the best for you. Keep in mind, though, that the higher the speed, the more power it needs. So if you are connecting the drive to a laptop, it will draw a lot of power which will empty the battery relatively fast. However, if you use the external CD drive now and then, a low transfer speed will suffice. All products contain this information in the specifications. You will not have a hard time finding the information.
What are the best external CD drives?
I guess the answer to that question depends a lot on what you need the drive for. I explained earlier what are the differences and the considerations, but if you still feel confused and don’t know which one to pick, here are a few suggestions that may be of help.
Novapolt External CD Drive
If design is one of the things you are interested in, you will surely love the Novapolt CD external drive. It will serve you well because it is a high-speed CD and DVD drive. It can read at a speed of 24X and can write at 24X, 16X, and 8X. Not matter what you put in, the Novapolt will be able to read and write it. You can also burn CDs, watch videos, create backup discs, and install software. The drive connects with a standard USB 3.0, but it’s also compatible with USB 2.0. The speed may differ, though.
As far as compatibility goes, there aren’t many obstacles. The Novapolt is ideal for various devices such as computers, ultrabooks, and notebooks, and the USB is compatible with Windows XP/2003/ Windows 10/ 8/8.1/Vista/7, Linux, and Mac 10 OS system. That covers pretty much everything, although I don’t know who uses Windows XP or 2003 anymore.
The Novapolt external CD drive supports the plug and play function. It doesn’t require an additional power source other than your PC or laptop, and you don’t need to install any software in order to use it. The data transmission has a very fast rate of up to 5Gbps.
The overall design is elegant and sleek. It is ultra slim, which matches very well with current laptops. Storage is convenient, and the durability of the drive is not to be questioned. It also comes with an eject button so your CD cannot get stuck inside under any circumstances. The stability of the data transfer is ensured by the copper mesh technology. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
VicTsing External CD Drive
This CD drive is ideal for people who have not updated their computers in a while. I say that because it is compatible with USB 2.0 and backward compatible with USB 1.0. This CD-RW combo drive supports DVD+R, DVD-R, CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-R, CD-WR. The maximum DVD read speed is 8x, while the highest rate for a CD read is 24x. The VicTsing can also burn CDs at a rate of 8x.
This external CD drive has a plug and play function as well. You don’t need any external source of power, and it doesn’t require any software installation. Just insert the cable into the USB port, and you are good to go. It features an advanced chip that allows watching movies and burning music with no lag.
The compatibility is universal. You can connect the VicTsing to a computer that operates with Windows 2000/XP/ Vista/ 7, and all version of Mac OS. It does not work with Windows 98/SE. The drive can be connected to any laptop or desktop, as long as it has a USB port.
The design is compact, which makes portability very convenient. It is very small, with only 7 by 8 inches, and is 1.1 inches thick. You can travel with it in one of the side pockets of your laptop bag. The package includes two cables, one for the data transfer and one for the power supply. When you want to connect the VicTsing to your computer, the manufacturer recommends that you connect both cables. That way you will get rid of the trouble of power shortage. You can also connect the device to the computer’s motherboard if you like. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Aidout External CD Drive
The Aidout CD drive has a very sleek and compact design. The surface is scratch-proof, which comes in handy if you are one of those people who just throw things in their drawers when they are not using them. The slim size and the lightweightmake this drive conveniently portable. You can just slip it beside your laptop or into a side pocket.
As far as transfer rate goes, the Aidout comes with a USB 3.0 technology. It provides the fastest transfer rate, and it has a superior anti-interference ability. Its performance is one of the most stable on the market. With this external CD drive, you can record CDs, music, videos, you can install software or create CD/DVD backup discs. Although the standard transmission is USB 3.0, it is also compatible with USB 2.0 and backward with USB 1.0.
The compatibility is universal. You can connect it to whichever device you may have, and it works with Windows XP/2003/Win10/8/8.1/Vista/Linux/ and all Mac 10 OS systems. One of the features that make the Aidout unique is the burning technology. It has a strong compatibility with any operating system, and you can interrupt recording with ease. This too has a copper mesh technology that stabilizes the transmission of data. The eject button will eliminate the possibility of a disc getting stuck inside, and the anti-shock and noise reduction features make this external CD drive durable and bearable. Click here to read more reviews and buy on Amazon.
Although all three products promise high-quality and efficiency, I have to go with the Novapolt Drive. It is durable, it is compatible with pretty much everything, and it has a lovely design. From where I stand, I think the Novapolt is one of the best external CD drives available.
It won’t be long until CD drives become entirely obsolete. You don’t even think about it until you find yourself in a situation when you need to use a CD. It’s not one of those things you do very often, like using a USB stick for example. But until then, we can safely rely on external CD drives. Click here to buy on Amazon
- Possible Danger Signs on Dvd Drive You Must Know
- What is Really Happening with External Disc Drive
- The Benefits of External Dvd Drive for Mac
- Up in Arms About External Dvd Burner?
- The True Meaning of External Optical Drive
- Top Advice on External Cd Drive for Mac
- Short Article Reveals the Undeniable Facts About Usb Cd Drive and How It Can Affect You
- Vital Pieces of Usb Dvd Drive
- Getting the Best External Disk Drive
- Un-Answered Problems With External Dvd Writer Uncovered
- The Pitfall of External Cd Drive
- The One Thing to Do for External Dvd Drive
- The Fundamentals of External Usb Dvd Drive Revealed
- Uncommon Article Gives You the Facts on Cd Dvd Drive That Only a Few People Know Exist
- The Hidden Treasure of External Blu Ray Burner
- Secrets About Blu Ray Drive Revealed
- Lies You’ve Been Told About External Dvd Player for Laptop
- Dvd Writer Reviews & Tips
- The Little-Known Secrets to Usb Optical Drive
- The Chronicles of Usb Dvd Player
- The External Dvd Chronicles
- The Incredible Details About External Disc Drive for Mac That People are not Aware Of
- The Biggest Myth About Dvd Drive for Mac Exposed
- What You Need to Know About Blu Ray Writer
- Unknown Facts About Portable Cd Drive
- External Dvd Player Guide
- New Step by Step Roadmap for External Cd Drive for Laptop
- The Truth About External Cd Burner
- The Leaked Secrets to External Dvd Drive for Laptop Discovered
- Reported News on Cd Drive for Mac Uncovered
- The Ultimate Strategy to Usb Dvd Writer
- The Best Strategy to Use for External Cd Dvd Drive Revealed
- Ruthless External Blu Ray Drive Strategies Exploited
- The Recently Leaked Secret to Blu Ray Burner Uncovered
- Cd Drive Help!